St-Pierre-sur-l'Hâte church

Saint-Pierre-sur-l'Hâte © José Antenat

Saint-Pierre-sur-l'Hâte © José Antenat


The church was first mentioned in the 12th century and was extended at the beginning of the 16th century. First Catholic, it was given to the Protestants in 1561 by the Lords of Ribeaupierre. In 1685, Louis XIV gave the chancel to the Catholics, whereas the Lutheran and Reformed Protestants shared the nave. The Protestants and Catholics laid out their part of the church according to their own doctrine – keeping or taking away the stained glass windows. This simultaneous place of worship is one of the only ones in Alsace to host Catholic, Reformed and Lutheran denominations. It is also the miners' place of burial and their graves may be seen in the narthex or in the graveyard around the church.


Site Internet créé par
l'agence web Adipso
localisée à Strasbourg, Alsace