The 'Chains' church

The 'Chains' church © José Antenat

The 'Chains' church © José Antenat


During the 16th century, the Lutheran miners had their own church in the lower part of the town. Burnt down in 1754 then rebuilt in 1756, the church called 'Sur le Pré' became too small due to the town's demographic and industrial growth in the 19th century. A Lutheran church called 'Eglise des Chaînes' was thus built in 1854, from the project of Eugène Petit, an architect from Strasbourg. It is named after the chains marking the square's boundary. As for the 'Sur-le-Pré' church, it was demolished in 1881 in order to extend the town's railway station.


Site Internet créé par
l'agence web Adipso
localisée à Strasbourg, Alsace